Old Testament Scripture Mastery Candy Puns


Scripture Mastery is probably my favorite part of Seminary. I still struggle with the idea that waking up at 5:00 is going to help me become a better person, but I endure it anyway. Scripture Mastery, though, is something special. I love how they all teach the basic principles of the gospel, and I'm always surprised by how frequently I use them in the weirdest situations!

I was sitting around one day and thought "Wouldn't it be cool to make candy puns for Scripture Mastery?" and my head kept spinning for the rest of the day. I brainstormed with my older sister, and we ended up with a list of candies for all 25 Old Testament Scripture Mastery verses that I'm actually pretty proud of. My only rule was that it had to be a candy I could find walking through the grocery store, and I was successful! Of course it isn't perfect, and some puns are better than others, but they're still all pretty amusing. In fact, I've started coming up with more for the other standard works!

The fun part now is finding uses for these puns. My two main ideas were to have students try to match the candies with the verses, OR they could be used as incentives for memorization. Candy has a way of motivating even the least motivated students to do things. I'm sure there are DOZENS of ideas out there for memorizing, teaching, chasing, and more! (And feel free to share them!)

The list is below (along with a couple explanations). I considered making wrappers for all of them, but then there were too many different sizes of each candy, so instead I made nice, uniformly sized printables for each verse. These printables are available in my Etsy store. They can be used as cards for a game, attached to candy bars, turned into a bingo board, or anything else anyone can think of. .

THE LIST:

Moses 1:39 – Lifesaver Candy
Immortality and eternal LIFE come through being SAVED by Jesus Christ
Moses 7:18 – Good & Plenty
Zion was RIGHTEOUS and had PLENTY because there was no poor
Abraham 3:22-23 – King Size Milky Way (I figured Milky Way's are pretty generic and well-liked)
Abraham saw many NOBLE & GREAT SIZED intelligences
Genesis 1:26-27 – Hershey's Milk Chocolate
HE & SHE were created in the image of God (It's does require a bit of a stretch, but one you see it it works--and it's still grammatically correct!)
Genesis 2:24 – Hershey's Kisses
HE & SHE CLEAVE to each other (since kiss & cleave are appropriate substitutes in this context)
Genesis 39:9 – Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Joseph RESISTED (Reese's-ted) Temptation
Joshua 24:15 – Charleston Chews
CHOOSE to serve the Lord
Exodus 19:5-6 – Chocolate Treasure Coins
God's covenant people are a peculiar TREASURE
Exodus 20:3-17 – 100 Grand
Follow the 10 GRAND Commandments
1 Samuel 16:7 – Milky Way Fun Size (Again, because it's generic and fairly popular)
The Lord looks not at your SIZE, but your heart
Psalm 24:3-4 – Orbit Gum ("A good CLEAN feeling")
You need to be CLEAN to stand in holy places
Psalm 119:105 – Fruit by the Foot
God's word is a lamp unto my FEET
Psalm 127:3 – Sour Patch Kids
CHILDREN are an heritage of the Lord
Proverbs 3:5-6 – Sweethearts
Trust in the Lord with all thine HEART
Isaiah 1:18 – Hostess' Sno Balls
You sins may be white as SNOW
Isaiah 5:20 – Hershey's Dark Chocolate
Woe unto them that call EVIL good & good EVIL, that put DARKNESS for light and light for DARKNESS
Isaiah 29:13-14 – S'Marshmallows
The restoration was S'MARVELOUS and S'WONDERFUL (This one is a stretch, because it relies on being familiar with the song S'Wonderful, but I couldn't think of something better)
Isaiah 53:3-5 – Candy Cane
With His STRIPES we are healed (This is actually legitimately part of the story behind the candy cane)
Isaiah 58:6-7 – Reese's Fast Break
Take a BREAK to FAST (You could even tie it back to RESISTing the temptation to eat)
Isaiah 58:13-14 – Hershey's Air Delight
The Sabbath is a DELIGHT
Jeremiah 1:4-5 – Jelly Belly
God knew you before you were formed in the BELLY
Amos 3:7 – Nothing (Yes, it's cheating, but...)
The Lord reveals NOTHING (except unto His servants)
Ezekiel 37:15-17 – Twix
TWO STIXS shall be joined together in the last days (Where else could the name come from?)
Malachi 3:8-10 – PayDay
PAYING tithing brings blessings
Malachi 4:5-6 – Sugar Baby & Sugar Daddy (It could be one or the other, but both would tie it together better)
The hearts of the CHILDREN turn to their FATHERS


Labels: ,